Saturday, July 27, 2013

Why I Love Saturdays

Over the past 5 years or so, I've worked on and off for a local farm, Braune Farms of Geronimo, Texas. Early on, I helped pick veggies and pack and deliver bags for their local CSA. I took leave from them when my son was old enough to go to kindergarten and I got a job at the school. A year and a half ago, though, owners Julie and Jeffrey Braune (pronounced like brownie) offered me the chance to run their farmers market booth at the Barton Creek Farmer's Market of Austin, TX. I took about 5 minutes to deliberate (kidding, it was a little longer) and got on board! I started January of 2012.

I enjoy every minute, every aspect of the market. Although I essentially lose my Friday nights because I have to be up at 5:30 AM, and I am totally wiped out on Saturday evenings, I still love it.
There are many benefits to working at this market! Besides the obvious, year round access to locally grown, fresh produce, I get to interact with other farmers, artisans, and representatives and listen to music performed by local artists. The farmer's market scene is definitely happenin'!
This photo was taken during our colder weather growing season. See the beautiful colors, the lush greens, the spicy radishes, jewel toned rainbow chard, the collard greens, Brussels sprouts, and the crunchy sweet carrots? Yup, my friends Julie and Jeffrey and their 4 children work night and day to bring this amazing food to YOUR tables!
 
I've made so many friends at the market! The relationships with the people (other vendors and the customers) I meet and see every week  have developed into lasting friendships - and I miss them when any of us miss a week.

I always bring one of my children with me to help out. They have developed fine knowledge about vegetables, handling money, and dealing with people. Luckily for me, when the rush subsides, I get to leave the stand for a few minutes to take a break and do my own weekly shopping.
 
There are so many booths that I visit, from food to drinks to apparel and even skin care. I particularly love the mushrooms from Kitchen Pride, the peaches from Caskey Orchards, t-shirts and tank tops from Chaos, sunscreen from Hemp 360, kombucha from Buddha's Brew, melons from Two Happy Children (that is, of course, till we start bringing them!), spice packets and olives from Foods of the Gods, and juice from Fete Accompli - a catering company run by a GENIUS at creating unique delicious combinations of seasonal fruits, herbs, and citrus.
 
Almost every Saturday, I purchase juice from Fete Accompli to use as a mixer with vodka - a much more delectable choice than juice from the *gasp* grocery store! I don't usually buy the same juice twice in a row. Last week, it was blueberry lemonade. This week is honeydew coconut basil limeade. Oooh lala! This is refreshing and smooth, especially when mixed with a locally distilled, grain free vodka such as Deep Eddy of Austin. I guess you could say that this is the "piece de resistance" on a lovely day full of soul satisfying sights, sounds, flavors, colors, and relationships!
 
***a side note - almost all of the vegetables and fruits that I use in my recipes here on this blog come from my garden, Braune Farms, or any of the purveyors of fine foods whose goods grace the tables of the Barton Creek Farmer's Market.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10