Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Roasted Poblano Soup

Now and then when I go to the grocery store, I see a bag of poblano peppers sitting in the bins, marked "reduced for quick sale $.99." I usually jump on this deal because I LOVE poblanos, and while I eat mostly local, I still do purchase from the grocery store once in a while.

When I saw that bag, I immediately thought creamy poblano soup. It's a favorite in my household, and I've been feeling a little under the weather, so I just knew it was time to make this soup.

Creamy dishes can be somewhat of a challenge when you are plant based, that is until you discover the magic of cashew cream! It doesn't alter the flavor of your food at all, in my opinion, and you get that beautiful creamy mouth feel that is so comforting.

There is a rule I have about creating plant based recipes. I believe that recipes should be simple, have a short ingredient list, and be easy to make. I never ever want a recipe to be intimidating. This recipe has a roasting technique that can any home cook can achieve with sensational results that won't be soon forgotten.
 
Roasted Poblano Soup
 
1 quart vegetable stock plus 2 c water
1/2 large onion, diced (or 1 sm-md onion)
1 clove garlic, minced
3 small (or 2 med or large) potatoes, 1/2" diced
2-3 large poblano peppers
1 bag frozen corn
1/2 c cashews soaked in 3/4 c water*
1 t olive oil (if you are oil free, use 1-2T water for sautéing veggies)
Cilantro, for garnish, optional
 
*Soak cashews in water for several hours. (Since I'm not the best planner, I use boiling water and let soak for 30-60 minutes)
 
Roast your poblanos. Once roasted, place in a bowl and put a plate over the top. This will make it easy to remove the charred skin. At the end of the recipe, I will discuss three different roasting techniques. You get to choose the one you want to do.
 
In a heavy bottomed pot, heat up 1 t olive oil (or water, if oil free) and sautee onions and garlic till translucent and fragrant. Add potatoes and vegetable stock and the 2 c water. Cover and simmer till the potatoes are tender.
 
Meanwhile, remove as much of the char from the poblanos as you can, but don't obsess! Some charred bits enhance the flavor of the soup, so it's OK if you don't get them all. Cut the peppers open, remove the seeds and membrane. Be careful when handling, some poblanos can be pretty spicy. I always sample the peppers before I use them in a dish to determine how much to use. Cut into bite sized strips. Set aside.
 
Put your soaking cashews with their liquid into a blender, bullet, or other device that will get a smooth result. Blend on high till smooth and creamy.
 
Once potatoes are tender, add poblanos and corn. When soup is heated through, add the cashew cream. Stir till cream is evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper. I love spicy foods so I sprinkle red pepper flakes on top before eating. If you like cilantro, throw a little on top before eating. This give it a nice fresh flavor.
 
Enjoy!!
 
Roasting your peppers
 
Choose one method:
 
If you have a gas stove, you can roast your peppers by placing them directly on the burners over med-high flame and using tongs to flip them over until charred on all sides. This is the method I use.
 
Place peppers in heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, over high heat. Flip peppers as each side gets charred. I use this method often when I roast jalapeños or serranos for hot sauce.
 
Broil peppers in the oven, flipping over half way through cooking time. Mark Bittman has a good method here - I don't usually do this because I don't like the way my oven heats up the kitchen.
 
 
**If roasting the peppers turns you away from this recipe, try this: skip that step all together. Cut your peppers into bite sized pieces and add at the same time as the onions and garlic. Then proceed with recipe. It'll change the overall flavor but will still be delicious!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10