Sunday, July 28, 2013

Heaven on a Sunday (caution, drool alert!)

Sometimes I fall. Sometimes I fall HARD.

Ok, I admit it. I am not 100% plant based. In all honesty, I'd say that I am 97%. I try. But sometimes when I wake up on a Sunday morning and I feel blah, I need comfort. Today that comfort came in the form of a chocolaty, decadent, luscious, gooey, gluten free, delicious (yes, it is possible to use gluten free and delicious in the same sentence!), cupcake.
This amazing cupcake wrapped me in its chocolaty arms and let me lay my head on its chocolaty pillow and jumped into my mouth and provided me with....comfort.
 
My sweet little Texas town has recently been blessed with a unique and charming little gluten free establishment called Red Oak Bakery. It is owned and operated by an incredibly gifted young lady named Ruby and her precious mom. They are open Friday through Monday and produce a wide variety of the most delicious baked goods you'll ever taste. Ever. Even if you are not GF. Each day, Ruby bakes cookies, brownies, scones, cupcakes, tortes, cakes, brioche, and baguettes.
 
As you can see, I couldn't wait to take a bite before photographing my cupcake. I barely got the frosting licked off my fingers to take this picture while I was waiting for my son and hubby to get into the car. Unfortunately, the chocolate almond walnut torte didn't even make it to the camera! It was devoured in seconds. Lucky for my guys, they were in on that action.
 
Behold the daily bread of Red Oak:
It is unbelievable how Ruby is able to create this flavorful baguette with a crunchy exterior and moist, chewy interior that tastes just like the bread I used to eat! But better! You might guess that this lovely loaf with be transformed into one of my mouthwatering veggie sandwiches for lunch tomorrow. While my cupcake wasn't vegan, this bread is, and I'll start fresh tomorrow. :)
 
On my 3% days (see above) I am a mindful eater - I consume eggs and milk products that are produced by farmers that live nearby and love and respect the animals they care for (myself included, I have hens that I hug and kiss and thank regularly for their eggs).
 
***a note about Ruby's ingredients - everything she uses is either local, organic, sustainable, fresh, and or raw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10