Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Chipotle Black Bean Tacos with Sweet Potatoes and Avocado

My first recipe offering for you will be delicious sweet, spicy, cool tacos, especially delicious for a light and satisfying lunch.

To begin, you will need the following ingredients:
1 can black beans
1-2 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
1 med- large sweet potato, peeled, 1/2" dice
1 avocado, sliced
1-2 t coconut oil
1/4 t sweet, smoky paprika
corn tortillas
your favorite salsa
salt and pepper to taste
The first thing you must do is heat up your coconut oil in a heavy bottomed skillet. Alternately, to avoid oil, you can steam, bake, or roast your sweet potatoes. I like the GBD (Golden, Brown, Delicious) goodness from the pan and the coconut oil, and I am not opposed to using it in small amounts, so that is the way I go.

As your sweet potatoes begin to brown, season with a little salt and pepper and paprika. Finish cooking when potatoes are tender. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, add your beans. I slightly drain them so there is still a little liquid for heating. Alternately, you can use 1-2 c. home cooked beans or even refried black beans. Add chipotle peppers a little at a time till you achieve desired level of spiciness. Chipotle is very flavorful and you don't need much of it to get that flavor. I like my food very spicy so I add quite a bit.

Heat up your corn tortillas and slice up your avocados.

Assemble your tacos - and add your favorite salsa as desired. you may not even find this necessary. I like to use my husband's Abuelita's (Spanish for Grandmother) roasted salsa recipe which I will provide the next time I make it so I can show pics. It's pretty spicy. :)
You will LOVE the combination of sweet, spicy, and cool here.
 
I am never a stickler on ingredients. You may not like sweet potatoes. Regular potatoes are also wonderful in this dish! In fact, I make it regularly. Black beans may not be your thing...that's OK! Use Pintos. Corn tortillas make you gag? Use flour! (I don't due to gluten insensitivity). Just be in love with your food! Relish it, enjoy it, fuel your body with it, make it yours!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through pinterest. Thank you for the great recipes! I'm not a runner, but I'm thrilled to find healthy, plant-based tex-mex or Mexican recipes. I grew up in South TX so these are my comfort foods. I look forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie! Mexican food is my favorite, too, and I will be working on many more plant based, Mexican inspired foods in the future!

      Delete

01 09 10