Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hummus With a Twist

Hummus is an incredibly versatile food. There are probably 1,256 ways to prepare it, and I am always going against the grain and trying something new, so today, let me introduce you to #1,257!

My daughters both love hummus. My son and hubby - not so much. They like the hummus delivery system - pita or tortilla chips. I tried to make it in a way they'd like it, but it's just not their thang. Luckily, everyone else absolutely loves my new recipe, so I'll share it with you here!

Cilantro Lime Poblano Hummus with Garlic and Avocado

1 can garbanzo beans, drained, reserve the liquid
juice of 1 lime (if it isn't too juicy, use 2)
1 clove garlic
1 small poblano or jalepeno, cut into chunks (you can remove the membrane and seeds if you can't take the heat)
1/4 c cilantro
1/2 avocado
salt to taste

Mix all ingredients except for the bean juice and salt in a food processor and let 'er rip on high speed for 30 seconds. Add bean juice, 1T at a time, until your hummus reaches desired consistency. Salt to taste. Serve with tortilla chips.

Enjoy!

For some reason, the garden I keep with my friend Kristal didn't give us much in the way of peppers. The poblanos didn't grow very big but they are sweet and spicy, unlike anything I've tasted anywhere.

Check out these little gems! Surely they didn't grow the way they were intended, but they are definitely an unexpected gift from the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10