Thursday, July 25, 2013

For the Love of the Sandwich

A couple of years ago, I discovered that I am sensitive to gluten. While I am not all out allergic to it, my belly hurts and I look about 4 months pregnant after eating it. 

Luckily, for some unusual reason, I am able to eat sprouted grain bread, such as Ezekiel brand, or Trader Joe's, Central Market, or whatever your local store carries. 

With the bounty of beautiful tomatoes that I am oh so lucky to have access to, one of my favorite lunches is veggie sandwiches. I toast my sprouted grain bread, lay on a very thin layer of Veganaise, add sliced tomatoes (w salt and pepper, of course), avocados, lettuce, and whatever veggies I can add (sprouts, cucumbers, red peppers, spinach). The sandwiches always vary with their fillers, but they are delicious, 100% of the time. 
My biggest trick to enjoying the plant based lifestyle is by using my imagination...whether to recreate old standbys or to experiment with new ingredients and methods. 

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10