Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Best Dang Chili in the Southwest

As long as the cool winds keep blowing in, I'll be working to prepare and share the foods that warm my family's hearts and tummies.

All week long, I've had the craving for some chili. I think I started Monday. I was going to soak some dry red kidney beans but then I decided on making another dish. Then Tuesday, I was going to but I remembered we had a volleyball game to go to and everyone ate sandwiches (that was when I made the Chickenless Waldorf salad). Wednesday came along and I actually started the beans with the quick soak method, where you boil them for a couple minutes and then let them soak. But Wednesday evening, it didn't happen! In the fridge they went. You get the picture. I finally cooked the beans Friday, and today, my dream of chili is coming true.

This recipe is a delicious vegetarian version of the chili that I've always made. It is a very basic recipe which takes few ingredients. If you are not a vegetarian, just add a pound of browned ground beef. You can also use some browned Morningstar Farms crumbles if you'd like the texture of meat but want to keep it vegetarian. If you have vegetarians and meat eaters alike in your home, make it the veggie way and serve up some meat on the side, as a garnish. I've been doing this and my family's meat consumption has gone down by at least 60%, maybe more, and they don't even miss it.



Vegetarian Chili

you will need:

1 large onion, chopped
2 bell peppers (I used red and green), chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil (omit if oil free and sautee in a thin layer of water or stock)
2 15 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
3 c red cooked red kidney beans (or two cans, drained and rinsed kidney beans)

1 T chipotles in adobo, minced (you can start with 1/2 T and adjust for heat)
2 T chili powder*

In a large, heavy pot, sautee first three ingredients in oil or water. When onions begin to be translucent and start to caramelize a bit, add the canned tomatoes and sauce, kidney beans, chipotle and chili powder. Bring it all to a boil and reduce the temperature to a low simmer. Cover the pot, but leave the lid crooked to let steam escape, this will let the chili thicken a little better. Cook, stirring often, for at least 30 minutes, but 45 min - 1 hour is better.

*I used a San Antonio chili powder blend that I got from the bulk spices section at HEB. It is perfect for this, but you can use any chili powder or blend that you like the flavor of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10