Friday, October 18, 2013

Cinnamon Apple Raisin Oatmeal

The weather has been absolutely delightful lately! I'd be happy if it was like this year round,  I'm talking about 50's in the morning and 70's in the daytime. Lovely lovely!

I think the reason I love this weather so much is for the food. The warm, cozy heat from the kitchen while soups and stews simmer on the stovetop and the aromas of delicious comfort foods resonates deep within me.

The crisp, cool mornings have been the perfect setting for a nice hot breakfast. I so loved the pumpkin oatmeal recipe that I shared with you last month, but yesterday when I scoured my cabinets, there was no pumpkin to be found. Oatmeal was definitely on the menu, so I improvised. We have a surplus of apples on hand, so I grabbed one of those and got chopping.

One serving of this oatmeal made such a big bowlful that there was enough to share with my honey. The cinnamon and apple together with the warm creamy oatmeal and drizzle of maple syrup was satisfying through and through. I hope that you find as much comfort and enjoyment out of this quick breakfast as we did!
 
Cinnamon Apple Raisin Oatmeal
 
For one humongous serving or two small ones, you will need:
 
1/2 c oatmeal (not quick cooking)
1/2 c water
1/2 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 t maple syrup
1 apple, cored and chopped
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (start with 1/4th and adjust to your liking)
dash of salt
1 T raisins
 
In a medium saucepan, add all ingredients but the raisins. Cook over medium heat, stirring very often to prevent sticking, till creamy and thick. Pour into a bowl and drizzle a little extra maple syrup, a dash of cinnamon, and the raisins over top. Then try to have the self control to wait till it's cool enough to eat without burning your mouth (true experience, hehe!).
 
Enjoy!
 
*Melanie notes - this was a perfect energizer for a run. I ate it about 45 minutes before I ran and had plenty of energy and strength. A bonus, my tummy felt great, not heavy, which always turns out to be a challenge for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10