Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Posole

Oh my goodness. I know you hear this from me on a regular basis, and maybe this will give you a clue about my overall enthusiasm about food, but posole is one of my absolute all time favorite foods in the whole wide world.

When my son (now 9 years old) was 2 months old, I went to a women's conference in San Antonio. There were several of my friends there and we had a big chunk of time to spare between sessions so we decided to go grab a bite to eat. We went to a fancier than usual Mexican restaurant called Rosario's. Ever since I was a child, I have always been an adventurous eater. I've never shied away from unfamiliar foods, which has worked out really well for me over the years. I happened to see another patron with this beautiful lively colorful spread of food in front of her. I was intrigued and asked what it was. She told me it was posole. Everything about it attracted me so that is what I ordered for lunch.

After eating that amazing bowl of soup, I immediately knew that it was a recipe that I'd have to recreate at home. Back then, and up to 11 months ago, I was a meat eater, so I always made it with pork, which is what it is traditionally made with. I did master the recipe with pork in it, but now, with my new improved eating and cooking style, I have mastered the vegetarian version. And now, my dear readers, I am sharing it with you. I hope this dish fills your body and heart as it does mine. (Cheesy, I know, but true!)
Making this posole used to take all day but I have condensed it into a few easy steps and surprisingly, it requires very little cooking time.

 Vegetarian Posole

1 1.5oz package dried chile peppers. I love pasillas but guajillos and anchos are good, too. A combo is even better!
2 quarts water
2 30oz cans hominy. I can never tell which I like better, but I get one each - white and yellow
1/4 large head cabbage, shredded
handful cilantro, minced
1 t dried Mexican oregano
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 t salt
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
1 avocado, diced or sliced
1 lime, cut into wedges or several key limes

Heat up 1 quart of water. You can do this in a kettle or smaller pan. Remove stems and seeds from dried chiles. It's a good idea to avoid touching your nose or eyes while doing this. Trust me!

In a large glass bowl, place cleaned chile pods, garlic and oregano. Pour in the quart of hot water and set aside while you do the rest of your preparations.
After everything else is prepared, in two batches, spin the rehydrated chiles, garlic, oregano, and soaking liquid in the blender.  Start on the lowest setting then switch to high. I used to strain this but realized that if I blend it really well, that's not necessary.
In a large soup pot, heat up the other quart of water. Drain your hominy and throw it in the water. Keep temperature at medium high. Pour your chile mixture in, along with the salt, and bring to a simmer. At this point, you can either lower the heat or you can shut it off if it's close to serving time.
While your chiles are soaking, prepare your garnishes. Shred lettuce, chop onions and cilantro, dice avocados and jalapenos, wedge the lime.
When it's time to serve, I add a ladle full of hominy then add a ladle full of broth. As in the first photograph, garnish with all the goodies you prepared. I LOVE a lot of cabbage in it.
 
There is something exceptionally comforting about the combination of earthy, spicy chile broth, toothsome hominy, and the array of strong, bright crunchy fresh garnishes, finished off with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. This soup does well in the fall and winter, but because of the cabbage and other raw toppings, it is equally welcome in my home in the spring and summer, too.
 
*notes about serving to the meat eaters in your family: Like I earlier stated, I used to make this dish with meat cooked into it. However, for the carnivores, I now throw some pork in the crock pot in the morning with a little salt and pepper and let it go all day. It easily shreds and they can use the meat as one of their garnishes. They have cut way back on their meat consumption because of the way I now serve it as a side.
 
As always, believe in yourself, enjoy, and bask in the pleasure of serving this delicious meal to your family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10