Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Queen of Green

Kale.

I love you.

I am thankful for you.

I love to do all kinds of things with you.

Oh yeah.

Earlier this year, my sweet friend introduced me to massaged kale salad. I fell in love immediately. We picked the kale from our garden and then she gently massaged the leaves using a splash of olive oil and some raw apple cider vinegar. It was absolutely amazing! I couldn't get over the fresh taste. It made my mouth feel so clean. There was none of that bitter taste that many people associate with eating raw kale. I couldn't get enough!

My vivid imagination led me to think about different variations with which to prepare this salad.

At the bottom of this post, I'll give you a few ideas on how you can take this salad and make it your own. But for now, here are two recipes!

The first one was inspired when I walked through the grocery store the other day. I always gawk at the gorgeous antipasti bar - I love the way the olives look, different colors and flavors, stuffed or pitted, glistening in the brines and oils. Then there's the marinated mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes, garlic and herbs....it's just so beautiful! I usually skip these because they are such an indulgence - so rich and so expensive - but I sacrificed in the name of lunch for one and recipe development. I purchased approximately half a cup of mixed olives, three sundried tomatoes, and about a tablespoon of the marinating liquid from the mushrooms, which came out to about $2.50. Not bad! Lots of flavor in a small amount of food.
 

Mediterranean Kale Salad

1 bunch of kale, washed, stemmed and torn into bite sized pieces. Alternately you can roll them up together and slice into 1/2" ribbons
juice of half a lemon
2-3 t seasoned marinating oil from the antipasti bar (or plain olive oil, if desired...or skip the oil altogether if you are oil free)
1/4 c chopped olives, sundried tomatoes, and anything else that interests you from the antipasti bar
salt and pepper to taste

Place kale in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and lemon juice. With your hands, massage the leaves for 5- 10 minutes until they are dark green and glossy. When you taste them, you'll find that they are no longer bitter like they were before you started. I suggest you taste the kale before and after so that you can experience the difference. Once the kale is nice and relaxed, throw in the olives and toss together. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a lemon wedge.

I have an admission to make. Sometimes my laziness gets the best of me. And sometimes I have so many things going on that I have no choice but to hit the easy button when I need to get something done in a hurry. Such was the case on Monday when I made this salad. I've been making tortillas for sale and had 30 dozen to make, so I decided to use my special massager, the KitchenAid! I throw in the kale, oil, and lemon juice and power on low speed with the paddle attachment for 1-2 minutes. It has the same outcome as when you massage by hand! Only difference is that some varieties of kale get a little broken up with this method. The heartier curly leaf kales hold up to the KitchenAid better.
 
Fast food, plant based foodie style:
 
It seems like lately, we have been so busy running from one event to another with the kids. Between sports practices to games and tournaments. our evening dinner time has been on the go more than I'd like.
 
It's a lot easier to feed the clan because they can be fed sandwiches and be perfectly happy. Since I am meat free and wheat free, however, it's a little more of a challenge to pack a quick meal. Some of the foods I usually take along are organic multi seed and grain tortilla chips and guacamole, avocado tacos, rice cakes with peanut or almond butter, nuts and fruits. Last week I was feeling more like a massaged kale salad, so while I was preparing the family's sandwiches, I fired up the KitchenAid for my dinner. I don't really have a name for this one, so I'll just give you the recipe. Feel free to name it in the comments and I'll change it...and give you the credit!

 
1 bunch kale, washed, stemmed, and torn into bite sized pieces or sliced into 1/2" ribbons
1/2 red bell pepper
2-3 small tomatoes, quartered
3" segment of cucumber, quartered lengthwise and sliced
1/2 avocado, cut into bite sized pieces
juice of half a lemon
1-2 t olive oil (omit if oil free)
 
Throw kale, juice, and olive oil in a large bowl. Massage using one of the methods above. Add cut up veggies and season with salt and pepper to taste.
 
Enjoy!
 
Ways to make tailor this to your liking:
 
Choose an acidic liquid: lime juice, orange juice, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, red wine vinegar, etc
 
Choose an oil, if using: olive oil, melted coconut oil, avocado oil, or any other mild flavored oil
 
*Alternatives to oil - mashed avocado, hummus
 
Choose additions: cut up vegetables, olives, nuts, seeds (I LOVE pumpkin seeds), dried fruit such as cranberries
 
My favorite of all is lemon juice, olive oil, and pumpkin seeds. The possibilities are endless, and you can adjust the recipe to suit any dinner theme.
 
Have fun, believe in yourself, and enjoy!
 

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing. The kale is so vibrant & looks delicious. I have actually never had kale, but have always wanted to try it. I may need to look for some after I finish the spinach that I picked up at the Farmers Market this week.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10