Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Curried Red Lentil Coconut Stew

Well hello, there! It's been a while! Life has been a little nutso over here. I've been in Real Estate School two days a week and basketball season is in full swing with my daughters, between them there are three games a week plus occasional tournaments. Recipe development has kind of taken the back burner lately, only because I've been making old faithful standbys that I've already shared with you.

Our lovely temperate South Texas has experienced a nice little cold snap. I'm talking about near freezing temps at night and much cooler daytime weather, complete with brisk northern winds. While I am not afraid of a little cold wind, I definitely stayed in Texas after moving from Maine for a reason. I prefer the temperature to be a little warmer, like say 50 at night and high 70's to low 80's by day. In a perfect world, I suppose!

I haven't made my family spaghetti in a while, so this evening I made them one pot spaghetti (includes meat, I can share that unique recipe later). Since I don't eat pasta or meat, I went ahead and whipped up a new creation that turned out to be very satisfying and warming. This turned out to be the sort of comfort food that will be standard fare in my home. Or at least on my lunch table. :) The ingredient list is short and it takes very little time to cook, fast food at its finest!
 
Curried Red Lentil Coconut Stew
 
you will need:
 
1 T coconut oil
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2" cubes
1 1/2 c red lentils, rinsed
16 oz water
15 oz can coconut milk
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 t garlic paste or 2 cloves minced garlic
1-2 T curry paste or powder
1/2 c unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
1 t salt
1 T maple syrup
1 t cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 lb frozen peas
 
In a heavy bottomed pot, heat coconut oil. Add onions and sautee till fragrant. Add garlic, potatoes, and lentils, along with the water and salt. Simmer for about 10 minutes then add the coconut milk, the curry paste, optional cayenne pepper. If using, add coconut. Continue to simmer till the potatoes and lentils are tender and the stew is nice and thick. If desired, add maple syrup for a little sweetness. I like to do this with curries. Taste it first and see what you think before adding sweetener. At the end of cooking, add the frozen peas and stir through. Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with a little chopped cilantro, if you have some on hand.
 
I thought I had ginger in the fridge, but I didn't. I think it would be a great addition, just add 2 t minced ginger when you add the onions and garlic. I think that would be a nice tough.
 
Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10