Saturday, November 23, 2013

Lentil Butternut Stew with Greens

I don't know what gets into me sometimes. I love to eat nourishing healthy foods. They make me feel good. No, scratch that, they make me feel GREAT! But sometimes, knowing the right foods to eat, I get all reckless and choose to eat crappy foods. Even when they make my tummy feel terrible. Such has been the case these last few days. It's possible I have been a victim of circumstance, wild swings on the pendulum of hormones. It could be the cold blustery weather that makes me feel lazy and want to curl up and watch TV. It could also be my family's insanely busy schedule with work and real estate school and two daughters that together play three basketball games a week with tournaments on Saturdays. Who knows? I just throw my hands up in exasperation and eat something convenient and unhealthy, and then plan to prepare a highly healthy, nutrient dense plant based meal that will counter the effects of the abuse I've done on my body.

I went to the farmer's market today in between basketball games and found some gorgeous butternut squash. This is certainly one of my favorite winter veggies, so versatile and packed with vitamins and fiber. See this article for more info on butternut squash. I grabbed a couple and started thinking about what delicious creation to make with them. I got some lentils at the grocery store earlier this week, and I happened to have a bunch of chard leaves in my fridge that I picked from the garden the other day. Since beans and legumes go perfectly with greens, and the sweetness of butternut and other orange winter squashes complements the earthiness of the beans and greens, I figured I'd throw them together and see what would happen. It was a success. Oh, yeah. This recipe calls for few ingredients, all readily available, and takes less than an hour from start to finish (not counting soaking the lentils).
Serve it up with some cornbread (I made gluten free vegan cornmeal drop biscuits) and you have a full winter meal that will fill your tummy and warm your heart.

 
Lentil Butternut Stew with Greens
 
1 lb brown lentils, soaked for at least 4 hours up to overnight
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium butternut, peeled, seeded and cut into bite sized pieces (be careful!)
10 -12 chard leaves, stemmed and cut into bite sized pieces (can sub another tender green such as spinach or baby kale.
3 quarts of water or vegetable stock. (if using water, add 4 vegetable bouillon cubes or 3 t vegetable soup base)
2 t dried sage
lemon wedges, if desired
 
In a large heavy bottomed soup pot, sautee onions and garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil or in a bit of water or stock, if oil free. Add drained lentils, squash, and stock (or water with bouillon cubes or base, if using) and 1 teaspoon of sage. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30- 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste the lentils to see if they are tender. Check every 5 minutes or so until they are just right. Add the rest of the sage and chard and cook an additional 5 minute till the greens are wilted. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve with a lemon wedge. The lemon juice gives it an amazing bright flavor that perfectly complements the soup. That's it! Enjoy and notice your body feeling nourished!
 
*This makes a huge pot of soup...perfect for a holiday soup course, feeding a crowd, or sharing with an elderly neighbor.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10