Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Black Bean Chipotle Chili With Lazy Cornbread Waffles

Fall is coming and I've been thinking up some ways to invite the cool weather. It's still really hot here in Texas, and there doesn't seem to be any real reprieve soon, so I made chili. You know, kinda like washing your car and it rains later? A girl can hope! Maybe we'll get a cold front.

I love some black beans, but my family, well, the beans need to be doctored up nicely for them to enjoy. Everyone here likes chili, and I use chipotle a lot, so my beans became chili today.
My farmers are still producing tons of beautiful sweet bell peppers and onions. I get garlic from this old farmer down the way for the same price that the local grocer sells it for. Poblanos lend the most amazing flavor, especially when roasted.

 In a previous post, Roasted Poblano Soup, I discussed different ways to roast peppers. If my recipe uses only a couple peppers, I love to roast them over the fire on my gas stove. The fragrance that fills the air is mouthwatering!
See how the pepper is all blackened and blistered? As you roast it, keep turning it and repositioning until the whole thing looks like this. Next, put it into a bowl that you can cover (I usually set a plate on top) and let it sit there for a few minutes while you do something else.

After a few minutes, you can use your knife to scrape off some of the really charred parts of skin. I don't like to remove too much of it because it imparts so much unique flavor. Remove the stem and seeds and chop into bite sized pieces.

You want your onions and peppers diced and your garlic minced.

From left to right: cumin, chipotle powder, chili powder.
 
And now for the recipe. I know you want it. :)
Black Bean Chipotle Chili
 
1 lb black beans, cooked or three 15 oz cans black beans, drained
2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 poblano, roasted and diced
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil (omit if you are oil free and sautee veggies in water instead)
1 t chili powder
1/2 t chipotle powder
1/2 t cumin
salt and pepper
1 avocado, sliced
3 green onions. thinly sliced
 
Heat olive oil (or water) in a large heavy bottomed pot. Add your onions and peppers and sautee till the onions become translucent. Add garlic and continue to cook till some browning starts. Add your two cans of tomatoes along with the spices. Add beans without their liquid and stir to combine. Once your chili starts bubbling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for at least 30 minutes. stir frequently to prevent scorching.
 
I believe in tasting as I go. Start tasting after 15 minutes. If everyone in your household is withering away because they are just so hungry, give your chili a taste and if it tastes good to you, serve it up and don't wait! It's all up to you. Nothing is set in stone!
 
You may notice that there is a waffle in my bowl. This is my lazy girl cornbread! I refuse to run my oven when it's a 100 degrees outside. It simply heats up the house too much. The only thing is, you can't eat chili without cornbread! I just whip up any ol' cornbread recipe (whichever is your favorite), fire up the waffle iron, scoop heaping tablespoons of batter into it and let it rip. They come out GBD (golden brown delicious) and they are fun to eat!
 
Have fun with your food, and as always, make it yours by customizing it to your family's taste buds.
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10