Friday, September 20, 2013

Vegan Pita Pizza


It's funny how most of my food ideas happen when I'm really hungry and on my way home from work at lunchtime. My job is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings, so it really does give me time to imagine and plan the recipes that I will be creating.
 
Monday, I was craving pizza. I can't eat regular pizza because of the bread. I can, however, eat Ezekiel sprouted stuff. Sprouted stuff I can get at my favorite little local natural food store, Rita's. I stopped in, originally looking for a GF pizza crust, but decided on Ezekiel's pita bread because of cost effectiveness. Plus, with 6 in the package, I can use them for other recipes, too.
 
I've tried vegan "cheese" before (I forget the brand, but it wasn't Daiya) and didn't really care for it. It made my teeth feel funny! I thought I'd give vegan cheese another shot and went with Daiya. Glad I did! It was better than the other one I got, although I don't believe that I could eat it every day.
 
The really special part of this pizza was the creamy soaked cashew, basil, and garlic spread. Since this is a recipe that can be super easy and quick, you can use any kind of sauce - pizza sauce, prepared pesto, whatever you think you'll like. I'll give you the recipe for my tasty little concoction so you can try that, too.
Preheat the oven to 400*
 
For this two servings of pizza, you will need: 
 
2 Ezekiel Pita Breads
1 recipe creamy cashew basil garlic sauce *recipe follows
sliced veggies ie. mushrooms, peppers, and onions (my faves) use what you like
Daiya "mozzarella" vegan cheese shreds
crushed red pepper flakes
 
*Creamy Basil Garlic spread
1/4 c raw cashews, soaked*
1/2 c loosely packed basil
1/2 t crushed basil
salt and pepper
1 T olive oil
 
In a small personal size food processor (I used my nutribullet), grind soaked cashews* and all the other ingredients together. Add olive oil, a bit at a time. The spread will ball up and be the consistency of peanut butter.
 
Spread half of the cashew mixture onto each pita bread. Top with veggies. Top with cheese. Bake at 400* for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes as desired. Yum yum. Enjoy!
 
*a note about soaking cashews - when I don't prepare properly and forget to soak the cashews, I put them in a coffee cup and pour a little boiling water over them and let them sit for around 15-25 minutes. Then I proceed with the recipe. Voila!
 
*another note...one pizza is a good amount for a serving. I was super hungry so I ate both! Then I had a tummy ache and wasn't hungry for the rest of the day. Eating healthy is great, but I guess I still shouldn't overdo it!
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10