Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cold Soba Noodle Salad with Creamy Almond Sesame Dressing

I was in the mood for something with noodles in it today. As I was driving home from my errands, my mind was scanning the contents of my pantry and fridge. I remembered this package of soba noodles that have been there for a while, just begging to be eaten, and since I am gluten free, they were a natural choice for this dish. I used soba today, but if it was brown rice noodles sitting there, I would have used those. Likewise for you, my reader, don't be stuck on specific ingredients. If you have different noodles on hand, go with those. Heck, even spaghetti would work!
The package of soba noodles I have is 8.8 oz. and has three perfect little bundles. I used only one of them because I wanted more veggies than noodles. You can add two or three bundles of cooked noodles, but I'd recommend adjusting your dressing by adding 50% more for each bundle.


Here is how I prepped the veggies. I cut the peppers and cucumbers into little strips. I used my convenient and inexpensive bag of carrot shreds. On the right of this photo, you can see that I have cabbage and frozen peas in a colander. When the noodles are cooked, I pour it over the cabbage to wilt and the peas to thaw. This is a handy little trick that I use often.
 
For the cabbage, I used the hearty outer leaves of a head of cabbage that I don't like to throw away. If you prefer, you can use the paler, more tender leaves or even napa cabbage, kale, or spinach (in which case you wouldn't put in the colander).

 
Cold Soba Noodle Salad with Creamy Almond Sesame Dressing
 
For the salad you need
3 oz dry soba or other noodles, cooked, drained and rinsed with cold water (see above note about draining with veggies in the colander)
1 small cucumber, cut in half and sliced into thin strips
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1/2 c packed carrot matchsticks or two carrots julienned
1 c frozen peas
4 leaves of cabbage, ribs removed, cut in half, stacked, rolled and sliced into 1/2" ribbons (this is called chiffonade)
1/4 c chopped cilantro and sesame seeds for garnish
 
For the dressing
1 T almond butter (you can use peanut butter)
1 T Bragg's Liquid Aminos, tamari, or soy sauce
1 T water
1/2 t toasted sesame oil
1 t maple syrup
1/4 t pressed garlic or garlic paste
red pepper flakes, if desired
 
Cook noodles according to package directions. Place cabbage and frozen peas into your colander and drain noodles at the same time. Rinse with cold water and shake all the excess liquid out. Add noodles, cabbage and peas, and all the rest of the veggies to a large bowl. Combine all dressing ingredients, whisking till smooth, and pour over top. This dressing is rather thin, so if you prefer it to be thicker, omit half of the water and add a little more almond butter. I like it thinner because you need less of it to coat more salad. Toss all ingredients together and garnish with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and cilantro.
 
You can sub or add vegetables to the mix - try broccoli, cauliflower, snap or snow peas, thinly sliced celery, water chestnuts, green onions, zucchini, etc...make it yours and use what you have in the fridge!
 
Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10