Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Carrot Ginger Soup with Sriracha

There are certain times of year that have a glorious overabundance of amazing "dirt candy." Farmers are meticulously sowing seeds and harvesting copious amounts of vibrant vegetables. This time of year in South Texas, you will find plenty of greens, broccoli, cauliflower, and some root vegetables, depending on when they were sown.
 
Although this picture is a little outdated (taken last year) it is a great representation of what my friend pulled out of our garden this weekend. I went by for a little bit to help on the greenhouse and they pulled out a humongous bucket of gnarly looking carrots. We had planted them last year but didn't spend any time on them, just let them go (no idea why, we just did). They were big, old, a little hairy, but DELICIOUS!
 

These carrots are from my friend Julie Braune's AMAZING farm in Geronimo TX.
 
 

 
With the abundance of carrots I found in my possession, I decided to cruise the web for a bit to get some ideas on what to do with them. Since they weren't really aesthetically pleasing to the eye, I decided to peel and chop them and make them into soup. And I am so glad I did. I kept the ingredients list to a bare minimum and seasoned it with salt and Sriracha, producing a creamy satisfying soup. I had a 2 cup serving and was stuffed! I love to eat, and I eat a LOT. Eating small portions usually doesn't cut it for me (I work out and run a lot) so when I can eat a large portion of something, feel full and know that I fueled my body with something that was not only delicious but healthy and nourishing, it's a win win.
 
A fun feature of using Sriracha to season is that it comes in a bottle with a writing tip! LOL you can personalize each bowl with cute and fun designs, making the dish more interesting. Don't worry about the heat, I had to use quite a bit of the Sriracha to make it spicy. The sweetness and mildness of the carrots and coconut milk really tame the heat down.
 
To make the soup:
5-6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1/4 medium onion, chopped
1" ginger, peeled, smashed, and minced
2 t coconut oil (or olive oil) omit if oil free

3-4 c vegetable broth
1 can coconut milk

In a medium saucepan, heat coconut oil or EVOO or water/broth. Add onions and ginger and saute over medium heat for a few minutes, till the onions are translucent. Add carrots and vegetable broth and simmer till carrots are tender. You can choose to add some curry powder or paste, but I left it out this time. When carrots are tender, either use an immersion blender to blend till smooth or let cook a couple minutes and blend in the blender till smooth. Add coconut milk and season with salt. Pass the Sriracha when serving! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10