Thursday, December 5, 2013

Vegan sweet potato casserole

My mother in law loves the sweet potato casserole I make every year for Thanksgiving. I've made it many different ways, but I absolutely refuse to make it with marshmallows! LOL I just NEVER liked it that way, even in my reckless-eat-whatever-the-heck-I-wanted years.

My mom once shared a delicious sweet potato praline casserole recipe with me one year, and I made it, but it was so incredibly decadent that it ranked up there in the very rich dessert category. It was yummy, though.

Now that I have been striving to remove the use of animal products from my recipes, I had to come up with a way to make the sweet potato casserole that would appeal to those that don't care whether it's plant based or not. With a couple of easy substitutions, I was able to make this delicious version that everyone loved!

I will also share with you my method for easy glazed pecans that I have been doing lately. The trick with these is to keep your kids away from them because they love to pick the pecans off the top of the dish, leaving little holes behind. At least my kids do that. Thieves!
 
This recipe makes a large amount, perfect for sharing at a potluck.
 
6 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed, and boiled till tender
1/3 c coconut oil
2/3 c unsweetened almond milk
1/3 c brown sugar
1/2 t salt
 
Easy glazed pecans
 
1 c pecans, chopped
2 t maple syrup
1 1/2 T brown sugar
1/4 t cinnamon
 
Preheat oven to 350. Mash the sweet potatoes with coconut oil, sugar, salt, and almond milk. Pour mixture into a greased 9X13 baking dish (I used a pampered chef stoneware pan). Spread evenly.
 
In a small bowl, combine pecans with maple syrup to coat. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and toss till all pecans are covered. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the sweet potatoes.
 
Bake for 20-25 minutes till the pecans are GBD and glaze-y.
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10